Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Winning and Losing

I just wanted to take a few moments to talk about winning and losing.  Nobody wants to lose, but sometimes it happens.  I've been competing in amateur mixed martial arts competitions since the beginning of this year and have had, to date, three fights.  My current record is 2-1.  Here's a breakdown of the fights.

My first fight was against a wrestler, he shot in, took me down and managed to land a few quick blows that put some hurt on me, but I grabbed him around the neck and submitted him with a guillotine choke.  Fight time... about 40 seconds.

Second fight was against a guy who classified himself as a brawler.  We came out, touched gloves, and just beat on each other for a while.  I think I landed a few more shots and almost knocked him out, but he recovered and I ended up winning with yet another guillotine choke. Fight time... about 2 minutes.

This last fight, 4/4/09, was against a very good fighter out of a very good fight team in North Carolina.  Huge arena, lots of people, 32 foot cage... amazing event.  This guy was a really really nice guy.  We talked and joked before the fight.  I honestly believe he just wanted a good fight.  So did I.  In the cage, we touched gloves and felt each other out for a moment, he landed a kick to my hip and the punches started flying.  I gained the upper hand, landing several good punches, but my opponent shot in and took me down.  After fighting on the ground for a bit, he got the mount and started raining down punches.  I returned a few, but could not bridge him off me.  Eventually, I did bridge him, but left my right arm up.  I lost by submission to armbar.
Fight time 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

Everyone loses at some point.  It's what you do with the loss that counts.  Good luck and happy training. 

Later, guys.

2 comments:

Rob said...

This is a pretty interesting blog you have going. Haven't seen anything like it!

Congrats on your MMA wins and good luck with the rest of your career. So are you actually putting your anime style training to use for conditioning?

How about in the cage? Are you trying to use anime style fighting techniques as well?

Would be cool to see a blog on both those topics! Take care!

The Anime Trainer said...

Thanks for commenting. I do a lot of the things that I post about for my conditioning, but also some others. There's a lot of things out there you can do for training.

In the technical aspect, by "anime style" fighting techniques, I'll attempt to practice and use a technique in the cage on a few conditions: First, it has to be a legal technique. Second, it has to be effective (and not horribly made up, lol). Third, I have to find someone to teach me how to use it effectively if I am not able to grasp it on my own through trial and error.

Long response, but there's definitely going to be a lot more info coming out.

Welcome to Real Anime Training!

Congratulations! You've found the internet's original home for anime/fictional/nerdy fitness.  We've been dropping workouts and ...